I’m really diving into my lesson archives this month. Almost 20 years ago, when I was teaching Bible lessons in Cobb County, then Paulding County, I developed a series of lessons entitled STEP INTO SERVICE, Increasing Your Effectiveness as a Servant, to help class participants understand their individual personalities and how we can learn to capitalize on those traits for serving our families, churches, and communities within a spiritually-discerned atmosphere. I believe some of my Facebook friends will remember these lessons.
Many of you are probably familiar with the Myers-Briggs Personality Tests. If you work in corporate America, you may have taken this test, or one similar to it. The MBTI tests are complex and resulting categories can identify 16 different personalities.
I didn’t plagiarize that or any other personality test, but they gave me ideas to translate into an effective tool for learning to serve others more effectively. My lessons are NOT complex. In fact, they are very simple, identifying only 4 personality types for both men and women. The markers are explained by taking the letters in the work, STEP, and creating the determining traits, such as:
- STEP – Self-Starter
- STEP – Trustworthy Supporter
- STEP – Exuberant Persuader
- STEP – Perfectionist
For the next few months, I will share these lessons with you in Webstable Soup. I hope you enjoy the journey into service.
FOLLOW IN HIS STEPS
- “Lord, Direct my footsteps
- According to your word.” Ps. 119:133
- STEP UP, dear friend,
- Hear what I have to say…
- STEP BACK, and look at yourself
- See what the Lord has made.
- “In his heart a man plans his course,
- But the Lord determines his steps.” Prov. 16:9
- STEP FORWARD with your strengths
- That glorify His name,
- STEP AWAY from everything
- That only brings you shame.
- “His eyes are on the ways of men;
- He sees their every step.” Job 34:21
- STEP AROUND the common theme
- In a life of grief and stress,
- STEP BEYOND and reach the goal
- Of love and happiness.
- “Since we live by the Spirit,
- Let us keep in step with the Spirit.” Gal. 5:25
- STEP BESIDE Christ Jesus,
- A Friend who’s good and true,
- STEP WITH the Spirit, dear friend,
- See what He does through you.
- “To this you were called,
- Because Christ suffered for you,
- Leaving you an example,
- That you should follow in his steps.” 1 Pet. 2:21
- Sandra Mackey
- Copyright © 2000
- Scripture references are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.